Rails Environment & Configuration
- Gem and RubyGem
- Gemfile and Gemfile.lock
Gem & RubyGem (per system)
What is Gem and RubyGem?
- Gem is a standard package format for Ruby libraries
- In the same way “jar” and “war” are standard package formats for Java libraries
- In Ruby/Rails world, a feature is built as a gem and there are tons of 3rd-party gems you can use right away
- Security, testing, performance, ...
- You can create your own custom gems or extend existing gems
- RubyGem is package manager for the Ruby programming language
- Manage the installation/uninstallation of gems (per your system)
- RubyGem comes with Ruby 1.9+
- You interact with RubyGem with “gem” command
Download course content